RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – DRUG EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – PEACE EDUCATION (PRIMARY 6)
TOPIC – DRUG AND DRUG ABUSE
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. explain the concept drugs and drug abuse?
2. state the consequences of drug abuse.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Charts showing various drugs.
2. Posters showing different alcohol and tobacco.
3. Samples of herbal medicine.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book –
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
INTRODUCTION – DRUG
A drug is any substance that can change the activities of the body.
Some of these substances can make us sleepy, excited, awake or take away pains.
There are drug that capable of affecting the mind, emotions, and behavior.
Among these drugs are alcohol and tobacco which are used excessively.
Drug use can be normally use or abuse.
Examples of common drug are aspirin, paracetamol, chloroquine, etc.
MEANING OF DRUG ABUSE
Drug abuse is the wrong of drugs to get self drive. Drugs used this ways are not prescribed by doctors, nurses or pharmacists.
CONSEQUENCES OF DRUG ABUSE
1. It gives pleasurable feelings or desires that encourage the tendency to use again and again.
2. It leads to development of tolerance to drugs. Therefore, the use larger quantities produce the same effects.
3. It reduces sense of pain.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides pupils to discuss the concept of drug and drug abuse.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in discussing the concept of drug and drug abuse.
3. Leads them identity the consequences of drugs abuse.
Pupil’s Activities – Identifying the consequences of drugs abuse.
4. Questions and answers;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen, ask and answer questions.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
2. What is drugs use?
2. Mention 5 consequences of drugs use.