Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning and Importance of Kitchen Hygiene (Primary 5)
TOPIC: WAYS OF MAINTAINING KITCHEN HYGIENE
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to give five ways of maintaining kitchen hygiene.
The pupils are required to already know cleanliness.
Link – First Term Examination home economics, Kitchen Hygiene
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
2. Floor cloth
3. Mop bucket
6. Scrubbing brush
7. Long and short broom
8. Dust pan
9. Trash bin
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
WAYS OF MAINTAINING KITCHEN HYGIENE
1. Label all containers clearly.
2. Arrange the equipments and utensils properly.
3. Avoid spilling liquid on the floor.
4. Mop any spill liquid immediately.
5. Do not use faulty electric appliances.
6. Do not store dangerous substances such as bleach, caustic soda in fruit drink or beverage bottles.
7. Do not touch electrical switch or operate electrical appliances with wet hands to avoid electrical shock.
8. Put off gas after use.
9. Cover all foods in the kitchen.
10. Do not allow rubbish or refuse to accumulate in the kitchen.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Discusses the ways of maintaining kitchen hygiene.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the discussion.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – ways of maintaining kitchen hygiene.
Pupils to answer all the questions.
1. ________________ is a functional room in the house where food are stored, prepared and served.
2. Kitchen hygiene is the ________________ and ________________ in the kitchen.
3. ________________ is the cleanliness and safety in the kitchen.
(a) kitchen hygiene
(b) kitchen safety
(c) kitchen arrangement
4. Do not allow ________________ or ________________ to accumulate in the kitchen.
(c) all of the above
5. Do not use ________________ electric appliances.
6. ________________, ________________ and ________________ are some of the materials needed for kitchen hygiene.
(a) knife, towel and mob
(b) cap, towel and blade
(c) Towel, napkin and mop
7. What is kitchen hygiene?
(a) cleanliness and serving in the kitchen
(b) cleanliness and safety in the kitchen
(c) cleanliness and arrangement in the kitchen
List 2 materials needed in the kitchen.