PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (JSS 1)
THEME: BALL GAMES
PREVIOUS LESSON – History and Development of Volleyball | Basic Skills and Techniques Involved in Playing Volleyball | Rules and Regulations Governing the Volleyball Game | Volleyball Officials and their Functions JSS 1 (Basic 7) – Physical and Health Education
TOPIC – VOLLEYBALL
1. Introductory Activities
2. Basic Skills and Techniques Involved in Playing Volleyball
3. Revision and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. demonstrate the techniques and skills involved in playing the games.
2. apply the rules and regulations governing the games.
Ball games are any games played with balls. Volleyball is one of the most played ball games in the world. The concept of ball games will enable the students to participate and contest for any competition.
The students can describe volleyball game.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Playing courts and pitches
4. Films shows
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Volleyball is a team sport in which two teams of six players are separated by a net.
The object of the game is to serve the ball to an opponent’s court in such a way that They are unable to return it. Each team tries to score points by grounding a ball on the other team’s court under organized rules.
PRACTICAL DEMONSTRATION OF BASIC SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES OF THE GAME
Teacher’s/Student’s Activities – Training the students to practically demonstrate and perform the following basic skills and techniques of volleyball.
LESSON 2 – APPLICATION OF RULES AND REGULATION GOVERNING THE GAMES
Teacher’s/Student’s Activities – Training the students to practically apply the rules and regulations of volleyball games.
1. Each team consist of 6 players and 6 substitutes.
2. Each team can hit the ball up to three times before the ball must be returned.
3. The defensive team can then try and block or return the ball again hitting it a maximum of three times.
4. Games are played up to 25 points and must be won by 2 clear points.
5. Violations will be called for the following:
6. Stepping over the base line when serving the ball.
7. Ball hits the net and fails to get over the net.
8. Players are not allowed to carry, palm or run with the ball.
9. Players must not touch the net with any part of the body. If the net is said to have hit them rather than vice-versa, then this is ok.
10. The ball cannot travel under the net.
11. Players cannot reach over the net and hit the ball.
LESSON 3 – PRACTICAL TEST OF BASIC SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES | RULES AND REGULATIONS IN VOLLEYBALL GAME
1. Define soccer.
2. Draw soccer pitch.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Trains students to demonstrate and perform the basic skills and techniques of the games.
Student’s Activities –
- Watch teacher’s demonstration of various skills.
3. Guides students to apply the various rules and regulation governing volleyball game.
Student’s Activities – Apply the various skills and techniques to game situation (class inter-group competitions).
4. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to:
1. Demonstrate skills involved in playing soccer and volleyball.
2. Apply the rules and regulations governing volleyball in a group or inter class game.
History and Development of Volleyball | Basic Skills and Techniques Involved in Playing Volleyball | Rules and Regulations Governing the Volleyball Game | Volleyball Officials and their Functions JSS 1 (Basic 7) – Physical and Health Education