BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
BASIC 4 (PRIMARY 4)
THEME: TECHNOLOGY AND YOU
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning of Technology | Importance of Technology Primary 4/Basic 4 Term 2 Week 6 Basic Science and Technology
2. Products of Technology
3. Making of Technology
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. state the products of technology.
2. make a simple technology.
The pupils can define and state the importance of technology at home and on the street.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Charts and pictures showing technological products.
2. Video cassettes films etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
Relevant link: SMASE – ASEI PDSI METHOD – Meaning and Importance of Technology – ASEI PDSI (Primary 4)
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Technology means any invention, including tools, machines, materials, techniques, and sources of power that makes work and lives easier for the people.
Computers and mobiles are not only technology.
Technology is whenever people used knowledge to create a new thing to solve existing problems.
Technology makes it easy to matches and lighter instead of stones to produce fire.
Technology, therefore, is the application of science for practical purposes, especially at home, in school, office and industry.
PRODUCTS OF TECHNOLOGY
Technology is everywhere and used by many people, businesses, banks, etc. Technology served different purposes, for examples –
1. Transportation – Moving from one place to another by bicycle, motorcycle, bus, car, etc.
2. Communication – Speaking to one another by microphone, listening to transistor radio, land telephone, mobile phones, etc.
3. Traffic control – Traffic officers at work, Drivers making hand signals, using of traffic lights
4. Banking – ATM machine, counting machine, computer, cctv camera, etc.
5. Farming – Harvester, planting machines, irrigation equipment, insecticide and pesticides
6. Business – Computer, photocopy machine, printer, scanner, thumb print, fax, etc.
7. Home – TV, radio, fan, DVD player, refrigerator, kerosene and gas cooker, water heater, cabinet, etc.
LESSON 2 – MAKING SIMPLE TECHNOLOGY
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Asks pupils to state the technology at home and on the street.
Pupil’s Activities – State the technology used at home and on the street.
3. Uses pupil’s responses to introduce the lesson – products of technology.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction.
4. Guides pupils to identify and state technology used at home, on the street, in traffic control, banks, etc. with appropriate examples or illustrations.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and describe the uses of technology used by different people for different purposes.
5. Organizes the pupils in groups or pairs to make simple technology.
Pupil’s Activities – Take active part in the group’s work.
6. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the lesson summary and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Asks pupils to:
state the meaning of technology.
list three (3) important of technology.
State 5 technology –
5. At home ____________, ____________, ____________, ____________, and ____________.
6. On the street ____________, ____________, ____________, ____________, and ____________.
7. In the banks ____________, ____________, ____________, ____________, and ____________.
8. For transportation ____________, ____________, ____________, ____________, and ____________.
9. On the farm ____________, ____________, ____________, ____________, and ____________.
10. By businesses ____________, ____________, ____________, ____________, and ____________.