CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS KNOWLEDGE
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – CHOOSING A CAREER
TOPIC: The Coming of Christianity to Nigeria II
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to –
- list the various Christian missions (churches) operating in Nigeria.
- Mention the approximate dates of the arrival of the Christian Missionaries.
- List activities of the early missionaries.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart f list of indigenous churches in Nigeria.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Materials
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
THE COMING OF CHRISTIANITY
The churches established in Europe by Paul and other apostles grew rapidly. Churches have established in Italy, Britain Portugal, Spain, Switzerland and Germany. Now in America.
Church in Nigeria began with Catholic Church. Later, we have Protestant Church. Both Catholic and Protestant Churches established churches in Africa, including Nigeria.
THE LIST OF THE VARIOUS CHRISTIAN MISSION (CHURCHES) NOW OPERATING IN NIGERIA
These are various Christian missions in Nigeria –
- Catholic Church – Roman Catholic Mission (R. C. M.)
- Anglican Church
- Methodist Church
- Baptist Church
- Presbyterian Church
- Seventh Day Adventists
- Salvation Army
- Wesleyan Church
- Sudan United Mission (S. U. M)
- Sudan Interior Mission (S. I. M.)
- Assembly of God Mission
- Jehovah Witness
- Latter Day Saints
- Church of Scotland Mission (C. S. M.)
THE APPROXIMATE DATES OF THE ARRIVAL OF THE CHAIRMAN MISSIONARIES
Different Christian missionaries came to Nigeria at three different periods.
THE ACTIVITIES OF THE EARLY MISSIONARIES
Before the missionaries came to Nigeria, there were no Christians in the country. The people in Nigeria had their traditions which they believed and worship God. They believed in juju, magic and witchcraft.
They believed in sacrifice to make money and do many other things like killing of twins. When the missionaries arrived, some of these evils practices stopped.
The missionaries preached the gospel of Jesus and many people become Christian.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Discusses the coming of Christianity to Nigeria;
- Pupil’s Activities – Participates in class discussion.
- States the list of the various Christian missions.
- Pupil’s Activities – List various Christian missions.
- Lets pupils know to that different missions arrive in Nigeria at different time.
- Discusses the activities of early missionaries.
- Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher explanation.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – The coming of Christianity of Nigeria ll
- Assignment – Find out the dates of establishment of your church.
Pupils to –
- discuss the coming of Christianity to Nigeria.
- Mention 5 Christian missions in Nigeria.
- Discuss the activities of early missionaries.