Uses of Plants (Primary 1)
THEME – BASIC CONCEPTS OF AGRICULTURE
PREVIOUS LESSON – Parts of Flowering Plants (Primary 1)
TOPIC – USES OF PLANTS
1. Introductory Activities
2. Recognize Common Plants
3. Identify plants used by the family
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. state some common uses of local plants.
2. name some plants used by the family.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Questions – Asks pupils,
1. What are the foods people eat?
2. What are the foods animals eat?
Listen and tell them, man and animals eat plants. Plants are very useful to mankind. Discuss other uses of plants.
USES OF PLANT
1. Plants are used as food for people.
For example, maize, rice, beans, yam, etc.
2. Plants are used as food for animals.
For example, maize (chickens, etc.), grass (goats, cow, etc.), etc.
3. Plants are used as medicinal uses.
For example, garlic, ginger, mango and pawpaw leaves, lemon and line orange, etc.
4. Plants are used for building and as building materials.
For example, iroko trees, and others.
5. Plants are sold to make money.
For example, yam, rice, beans, cocoa, etc.
Teacher’s Activities – Guides the pupils to give examples of plants under the uses.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Tells pupils the uses of some medicinal crops e.g. Neem, garlic, lime, lemon, etc.
Pupil’s Activities – Mention some plants that can be sold for money e.g. groundnut, maize, etc.
3. Discuss other uses of plants.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the class discussion and mention other uses of plants.
4. Teacher’s/Activities – Mention plants that are used as medicine, building material, live – animal food.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Dangerous and Harmful Plants (Primary 1)
1. Name some plants and give their uses,
2. state 2 examples of plants used as –
- Food for people ________1________ and ________2________
- Food for animals ________1________ and ________2________
- Medicine ________1________ and ________2________
- Building ________1________ and ________2________
- Sold ________1________ and ________2________