THEME – WHOLE NUMBERS
TOPIC – WHOLE NUMBER 0 (ZERO)
1. Introductory Activities
2. Number Zero (0)
3. Recognizing 0 As A Number
4. Pronunciation and Writing of Number 0
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. Recognize that the symbol 0 stands for nothingness.
2. read the number 0.
3. Write 0.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Stones, seeds, bottle covers, etc, Nylon bags or any other container.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
INTRODUCTION TO NUMBER 0
Teacher’s Activities – Depending on the size of the size, get 10 black nylon bags for each of the pupil (if you have a small class but if the class is large, if can group the pupils), in each counting objects from 1 – 5 for pupils to count and write down the number.
Make sure in the at least two bags, no counting materials.
Pupil’s Response – 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5. Note – Those with empty bags might know what to write, then introduce the number 0.
Teacher’s Remark – Empty bag or nothing referred to NUMBER 0.
NUMBER 0 (ZERO)
0 is a symbol that’s stands for nothingness.
In letters A – Z, 0 looks like letter O in alphabet but it is called zero in numbers.
WRITING NUMBER 0 (ZERO)
Teacher’s Activities – Asks the pupils to write number 0.
WORK – TO – DO
Count and write number of zero in the following numbers –
Repeat the above activities using different methods or style to ensure the pupils recognize and differentiate between 0 and O.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Puts one stone in one bag, two stones in the sack bag and three stones in the third bag and none in the fourth bag. This activity is to unable the pupils know that nothing is referred as 0.
Pupil’s Activities –
- Put the stones into the bags as directed by the teacher.
- Identify symbol 0 as a number.
3. Asks pupils to remove the stones in each bag until there is no stone left.
Pupil’s Activities – Remove the stones into the bags as directed by the teacher.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. remove objects from the bags till nothing is left in the bags.
2. write and pronounce the number 0.
3. give an example in the home of zero situation, etc.