THEME – FOOD AND NUTRITION AND HEALTH
PREVIOUS LESSON – House Care – Process for Cleaning the Bedroom | Ways of Rearranging Furniture in the Bedroom Primary 3 (Basic 3) – Home Economics
TOPIC – FOODS BELONGINGS TO VARIOUS FOODS GROUP
1. Introductory Activities
2. Foodstuffs in our Locality
3. Functions of Food
4. Food Groups
5. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify foodstuff in the locality according to their functions.
2. groups various foodstuff.
3. state the functions of food.
The pupils can state different foods in their community.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Samples of foodstuff mentioned e.g. yam, eggs, meat, fruits, vegetable, etc.
2. Chart on foodstuffs that appear in various groups.-Proteins, Fats,
Carbohydrates, Minerals, Vitamins.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Copy as I write or draw as I write. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Display sample of some foodstuff and ask the pupils to state other foods in their locality.
Pupil’s Activities – Rice, yam, bread, etc.
Teacher’s remark – There are different kinds foods in our community as you have mentioned. Ask the pupils to state the importance of foods to our body and guide them to group foods in their classes. Note the points on the board.
FOODSTUFF IN OUR LOCALITY
8. Tomatoes, etc.
FUNCTIONS OF FOOD
1. It gives the body energy.
2. It fills the body when hungry.
3. It makes one happy.
4. It repairs the body tissue.
5. It makes us stay healthy.
LESSON 2 – FOOD GROUPS
Foods can be group as follow –
- Foods that contain carbohydrates are: rice, beans, yam, potatoes, cereal, mealie meal, porridge and bread.
2. Fats and Oils
- Foods that contain fats and oils: butter, margarine, sardines, cooking oils, nuts, peanut butter and avocado pears.
3. Vitamins and Minerals
- Foods that contain fats and oils: fish, green vegetables, milk, cheese, water, fruits, rice, tomatoes, peppers, etc.
- Foods that contain proteins: meat, fish, chicken, eggs, beans, milk and cheese.
Protein is also found in many plant products: chickpeas, beans, lentils, nuts and soya.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides pupils to state the importance of foods.
Pupil’s Activities – State the importance of foods.
3. Selects and assembles samples of food belonging to various groups.
Pupil’s Activities – Sort food stuff into groups and create food group on the board chart.
4. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. list 5 food group.
2. group food into protein, carbohydrates, fats and oil, minerals and vitamins.
3. copy the list of food in different groups from the board.
ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS
1. ______________________ is body building foods.
2. ______________________ is energy giving foods.
3. Rice, yam, maize and bread are ______________________.
4. Groundnut, groundnut oil, palm oil and butter are ______________________.
A. Fats and oils
___________5___________ and __________6____________ are fruit and vegetable foods.
A. Carbohydrates and proteins
B. Minerals and vitamins
C. Oil and fat
State 4 important of foods.