CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (JSS 1)
TOPIC – INTRODUCTION TO DANCE
2. Meaning of Dance
3. Components of Dance
4. Uses of Dance
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives –
1. define dance.
2. state the uses of dance.
3. perform some dance movements.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of textbook, notebooks, chalkboard/magic boar, pictorials of various dances, CD or cassette player or drums, gong and rattle, proper clothing for dance (Tights, Leotard, T shirt).
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. National Curriculum for SSS Classes
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF DANCE
Dance is the movement of the body in space and time to express an idea or pass across a message.
COMPONENT OF DANCE
USES OF DANCE
1. It is used for entertainment.
2. It is used for passing important information and messages like unity, love, tolerance etc. enliven the mood of an occasion, etc.
3. It is a form of exercise.
4. It allows people to express themselves.
5. It provides physical (mental) refreshment and relaxation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Defines dance.
Student’s Activities – Listen to teacher’s explanation and take notes.
3. Explains the components of movement, space, time, expression.
4. Enumerates the uses of dance with examples.
5. Leads the class in a discussion on the uses of dance they have observed in their immediate environment.
6. Leads the students in performing some dance movements.
7. Summarizes the lesson on the 1 as board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to:
1. state the meaning of dance.
2. describe four uses of dance and give one example each.
3. display two dance movements/phrases that express a particular idea of emotion.