THEME – BASIC CONCEPTS IN AGRICULTURE
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – OILY AND FATTY FOODS
1. Introductory Activities
2. Uses of Oily and Fatty Foods
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify various oils and fatty foods.
2. state uses of oil and fatty food stuffs.
Groundnut, palm oil, etc.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Samples of palm oils (fruit and kernel) and other vegetables-melon, soyabean and groundnut.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Displays Different Oil and Fat Foods for the Pupils to Identify by Names
Notes the pupil’s each food identified by name on the board and asks them to state the similarities of these foods.
EXAMPLES OF LOCAL OILY AND FATTY FOODS
2. Palm oil
8. Cashew nut
10. Avocado’s, etc.
Teacher’s remark – All the above are oily and fatty oils. These foods contain plenty of oil and fatty than other foods.
USES OF OILY AND FATTY FOODS
Teacher’s/Pupil’s – Leads the discussion on the uses of oily and fatty foods –
1. They are used for cooking.
2. They are used for frying fish, meats, eggs, plaintain, etc.
3. They are good source of energy.
4. They protect the skins against harsh weather.
5. They are used as medicine or medical herbs.
6. They are used for traditional lamp.
7. The are used for soap making.
8. They are good source of income.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Presents and identifies local oil/fat containing foodstuff to class.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify oil/fat containing foodstuffs.
3. Discusses uses of oily/fatty food stuff.
Pupil’s Activities – Discuss some common uses of oils/fat containing food stuff in the home.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. identify oils by their color.
2. State four uses of vegetable oils.
Agriculture (Primary 3)