Last Updated on July 16, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – CITIZENSHIP
TOPIC – RIGHTS AND DUTIES OF CITIZENS
1. Meaning of Rights and Duties
2. Different Between Rights and Duties
3. Importance of Citizen’s Right and Duties
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain the meaning of rights and duties.
2. identify and distinguish between citizen’s rights and duties.
3. state the importance of citizen’s rights and duties.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. School rules and regulations.
2. The Nigerian constitution.
3. Flash cards.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Every Nigerian has rights, duties and privileges, which are provided for in the hundreds of laws that exist in Nigeria.
These rights are contained in Chapter IV of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and are officially known as Fundamental Rights.
MEANING OF RIGHTS AND DUTIES/DIFFERENT
Rights are legal, social, or ethical principles of freedom as stated in the constitution.
Duties are obligations to respect the Rights of others and the society.
Rights and duties are reciprocal. A right is a demand, e.g. voting rights, etc. while duty is an expectation, e.g. payment of taxes, obedience to the law., etc.
RIGHTS OF A CITIZEN
1. Freedom of speech
2. Freedom of worship
3. Freedom of movement
4. Right to life
5. Right to dignity
6. Right person liberty
7. Right to free hearing
8. Free of expression
IMPORTANCE OF CITIZENS RIGHTS AND DUTIES
1. Social control
3. Due process
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions;
2. Prepare flash cards.
Student’s Activities – Sort out flash card on rights and duties.
3. Guides student to –
- Discuss the school rules and identify their rights and duties to the school.
- state the importance of rights and duties.
Student’s Pupil’s Activities – Read about citizens right and duties. Participate in class discussion and debates.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. explain the meaning of rights and duties of citizens.
2. distinguish between rights and duties.
3. give two examples of citizens “rights and duties”.
4. mention three importance of rights and duties of citizens.