THEME: CLOTHING AND TEXTILES
PREVIOUS LESSON – Classification of Simple Sewing Tools (Primary 4)
TOPIC: THE SEWING MACHINE
1. Types of Sewing Machine
2. Uses of Different Types of Sewing Machine
3. Fixing Needle and Thread
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
1. Mention types of sewing machines;
2. state the uses of each type of sewing machine.
3. fixing needle and thread.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Sample or chart different kinds of sewing machine.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
A sewing machine is a machine used to stitch fabric and other materials together with thread.
Sewing machines were invented during the first Industrial revolution to decrease the amount of manual sewing work performed in clothing companies.
TYPES OF SEWING MACHINE
1. Handy Sewing Machine
Handy Stitch is also known as the portable hand-held sewing machine.
It is great for quick repairs or jobs that conventional desktop machines can not handle, like sewing curtains while on the rod, or mending a torn pocket without having to remove your pants.
2. Treadle/Mechanical Sewing Machine
Treadle machine is fixed to a stand, easy and quick to use by the operators. It has both foot pedal (that is pushed back and forth) and hands free to guide the work.
These machines are best suitable for the beginners who want to learn sewing from basics.
3. Electronic Sewing Machine
Electronic sewing machines have more features than a mechanical sewing machine.
These sewing machines are the combination of mechanical sewing machine and computerized sewing machine.
4. Computerized or Automated Sewing Machine
Computerized Sewing Machines are high technology sewing machines which can be connected to the internet, computer or design loaded cards.
These machines are best suitable for industrial purpose.
5. Embroidery Machine
Embroidery machines are meant for designing different patterns of embroidery on the fabric.
LESSON TWO – PRACTICAL DEMONSTRATION OF NEEDLE AND THREADS
1. Use the right needle for the particular type of sewing machine.
2. Fix needle correctly on the machine before use.
3. Use the right thread for the right type of work and thickness of the needle.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Bring a sewing machine and diagram in a sewing machine;
3. Shows pupils sewing machine and identity its parts;
Pupil’s Activities – Examine the machine and identify the parts of labelled on the chart and as taught by the teacher.
4. Discusses the uses of different kinds of sewing machine;
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the class discussion.
5. Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Fixing needle and thread in sewing machine.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – The uses and care of sewing machine.
1. identity two kinds of sewing machines.
2. state three differences between hand and treadle sewing machine.
3. state the uses of different kinds of sewing machines.
4. drawing any 2 types of sewing machine.