RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME: SOCIAL AND HEALTH ISSUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – CHARACTERISTICS OF DRUG ABUSERS (PRIMARY 4)
TOPIC – WHAT WE CAN DO TO PREVENT DRUGS ABUSE
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. list behaviours that promote physical, mental and social well-being.
2. mention some life skills that are needed for maintaining positive healthy behaviours.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Posters illustrating appropriate positive health behaviours.
Eminent or respected persons in the community as resource persons.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
Relevant link – Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Social Studies Primary 4 Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
Drugs are substances (liquid, solid or gas) that are used to cure or prevent illness.
Drug abuse is the wrong (misuse) of drugs to get self drive. Drugs used this ways are not prescribed by doctors, nurses or pharmacists.
WHAT WE CAN DO TO PREVENT DRUGS ABUSE
A. Health Promoting Behaviours
1. Stress reductions – regular exercises.
2. Constructive plays.
3. Positive and good relationship with peers, etc.
B. Life Coping Skills
Life coping skills are program designed to provide the education and support necessary by diminish drug dependency in community, school and workplace.
1. Choosing good friends.
2. Avoiding bad company.
3. Self discipline
4. Right thinking
5. Establishing acceptable measures of discipline.
7. Hard work,
9. Goal setting
10. Hearing and obeying the word of God.
11. Courage respect for others, etc.
LESSON TWO – WAYS BY WHICH INDIVIDUAL CAN RESIST TEMPTATION OF BEING COERCED TO TAKE OR GET INVOLVED IN DRUGS PEDDLING
As stated in Life Coping Skills.
REVISION AND WEEK 9 LESSON ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Arranges a guided class discussion on behaviours that can help in the promotion of physical and mental health;
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the guided discussion on behaviours that can help in the promotion of physical and mental health.
3. Helps to organize life club activities aimed at preventing drug abuse;
Pupil’s Activities – Discuss on life club activities and how they can help in preventing drugs abuse.
4. Questions and answers;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen, ask and answer questions.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. list three behaviours that promote physical, mental and social well-being among youths.
2. give two examples of skills that are needed for maintaining positive healthy behaviours.