Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
WEEK 1 AND WEEK 2
THEME – SPEECH WORK
TOPIC – PHONEMIC AWARENESS
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to pronounce and distinguish between the sounds and sentences using the correct stress and intonation.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Flash cards.
- Sentence strip.
- Flannel board.
- Course book.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Aural discrimination of the sounds –
/ɜ/ and /ʌ/
- burn – born
- firm – form
- perch – porch
- I can burn this bush. A new child is born.
- The firm sent a form to me.
/ɔ/ and /ɔ:/
- cot – court
- spot – sport.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Reads the sentences containing the sounds.
- Pupil’s Activities – Listen to and repeat after the teacher.
- Distinguishes between the sounds.
- Pupil’s Activities – Distinguish between the sounds.
- Pronounces the words paying attention to the stress and intonation.
- Pupil’s Activities – Pronounce the words.
- Asks pupils to repeat after him.
- Pupil’s Activities – Read the sentences following the teacher’s example.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- pronounce given words using the appropriate sounds and
- distinguish between the sounds in words and in sentences using the correct stress and intonation.