Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – GRAMMATICAL ACCURACY/STRUCTURE
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – MAKING POLITE REQUESTS
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
- Hold polite conversations.
- Make polite requests.
- Use can, could, may, would, please in request sentences.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Course book
- Materials prepared by the teacher – passages from drama that will serve as modal.
- Sentences strips.
- Relevant pictures and objects.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MAKING POLITE REQUESTS USING PLEASE, MAY, CAN, WOULD….
If you want other people to do things for you, you may want to sound polite. There are certain expressions you could uses.
- Please open the door.
- Could you open the door?
- Can I have the bill, please?
- May I have the bill, please?
- Could I possible have the bill please?
- Will you send me the materials?
Ref – MacMillan Brilliant Primary English 5
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Explains English usage arising from English custom is called here. English peoples seldom frame their commands – instead of saying – come here, they wound rather say, can you spare a second, please.
- Pupil’s Activities – Practice saying May I be excused, please (means I want to go to the toilet). Can I go, please. Say in meaningful contexts such as, may I have a word with you please
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Make 2 sentences or requests with given words.
- Make polite request using can, could, may, would, please.