Last Updated on July 16, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – BASIC OPERATIONS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Second Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Notes for MATHEMATICS Week 1 to Week 12 Primary 1 – Revision
TOPIC – ADDITION OF WHOLE NUMBERS WITH THE SUM LESS THAN 5
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to add two whole numbers with results 1 to 4 and sum less than 5.
Addition of numbers or objects
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
4. Bottle tops
5. Number beads, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
6. Addition of Whole Numbers with the Sum less than 10 (Primary 1)
7. Addition of Whole Numbers with the Sum less than 20 (Primary 1)
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – COUNTING TOGETHER
Pupil’s Activities 1 – COUNTING OBJECTS
Teacher’s activities – How many circles, stars and square are on the chart?
Pupil’s response – There are 5 circles, 4 stars and 3 squares.
Pupil’s Activities 2 – Addition of Objects
1. 2 stars and 1 stars
= x x + x
= 3 stars
2. 2 circles and 3 circles
= O O + O O O
= 5 circles
3.1 square and 2 squares
= ¤ + ¤ ¤
= 3 squares
Pupil’s Activities 3 – Exercises/Take Home
1. A A A + A A
3 + 2 =
2. B + B B =
1 + 2
3. W W W W + W
4 + 1
4. D D + D D
2 + 2
5. P P + P =
2 + 1
LESSON TWO AND THREE, use other objects to continue the lessons.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides pupils to group the objects into ones, twos, threes and fours to form sum less than 5 e.g. 2 balls and 2 balls give four balls.
Pupil’s Activities – Group objects into ones, twos, threes and fours to form sums less than 5 and count the total.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to add given whole numbers.