THEME – GROOMING
PREVIOUS LESSON – Dangers of not Caring for the Ears and Nose Primary 1 (Basic 1) – Home Economics
TOPIC -THE EYES
1. Introductory Activities
2. Identification of the Eyes
3. Functions of the Eyes
3. Materials for Cleaning the Eyes
4. Dangers of not Caring for the Eyes
5. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify the eyes.
2. state the functions of the eyes.
3. list the materials for cleaning the eyes.
4. take care of their eyes.
The pupils can point to their eyes and state their uses.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Chart showing the eyes.
2. Materials and tools for caring for the eyes.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Copy as I write or draw as I write. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY QUESTIONS – FUNCTIONS OF THE EYES
Teacher’s Activities – Asks the pupils,
1. The parts of the body that’s used for seeing is _________.
2. Point to your eyes.
3. Everybody close your eyes, what did you see?
4. Open your eyes and mention 5 things that you see in the class.
Pupil’s Activities – Response to questions,
2. This is my eyes.
4. Chair, tables, board, board, etc.
Teacher’s remarks – Our eyes are parts of the body that’s used for seeing. We can see one another and things with around. We need to take care our eyes from time to time. Display chart showing materials used for caring for the eyes for the pupils to identify and discuss. Note the materials on the board.
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR THE CARE OF THE EYES
The following are materials used for caring for our eyes –
2. Face cap
4. Eyes drop
5. Healthy food
LESSON 2 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Display chart showing some of eye’s problems for the pupils to examine and identify different eye’s problems.
Pupil’s Activities – Active participation.
Teacher’s remark – Comment and discuss the dangers of not caring for the eyes.
1. What is main function of the eyes?
2. State 3 materials needed for the care of the eyes.
DANGERS OF NOT CARING FOR THE EYES
The following are the dangers of not caring for the eyes –
2. Weak vision
3. Short sight
4. Eyes pain
5. Double vision
6. Change colour
7. Unusual discharge or tear
Mention 3 dangers of not caring for the eyes.
Find out ways of caring for the eyes.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Displays chart of the eyes.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify the eyes.
3. Leads pupils to state some of the materials used for caring for the eyes.
Pupil’s Activities – State some of the materials used for caring for the eyes.
4. Discuss the dangers of not taking care of the eyes.
Pupil’s Activities – Dangers of not taking care of the eyes.
5. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. draw their eyes from the chart shown.
2. mention three functions of the eyes.
1. ______________ are parts of the body used for seeing.
2. We ______________ eyes.
C. 2 (two)
3. We can’t see everything when we close our eyes.
4. Good food improves our eyes ______________.
C. Eyes pain
5. ______________ is not one of the dangers of not caring for the eyes.
State 3 materials needed for the care of the eyes.
Mention 2 dangers of not caring for the eyes.