CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
THEME: PERFORMING ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – Body Makeup – Local Materials Used for Body Makeup (Primary 1)
TOPIC – DANCE
1. Meaning of Dance
2. Types of Dance
3. Demonstration of Local Dance
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify and list the types of music.
2. demonstrate local dance.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of Musical instuments e.g. Drums, Gong, Pattlers or Shakers, Wooden drums, Clappers, Xylophones, etc; Pictures of dancers performing; DVDs or VCDs Recording of dances.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Course Book – CULTURAL CREATIVE ARTS for Primary 1, A K Badaru, C Ndubuisi, G Akinsola, A Abdul, S A Akinsowo, A Oni
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Play a suitable Nigerian music that will make the pupils to dance.
MEANING OF DANCE
Dance is the movement of the body. We dance to the rhythm of the song or the beat of the instruments.
TYPES OF DANCE
1. Foreign dance
2. Traditional (Local) dance
Foreign dance is non Nigerian dance. Traditional dance is the dance that represent our culture and traditions.
Play DVD player showing both foreign and traditional dance.
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Perform basic dancing moves with the pupils.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Plays CD players that make the pupils to dance.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the music.
3. Creates activities that will enable pupils to identify types of dance.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify types of dance.
4. Play DVD player and demonstrates a specified local dance using the basic movements.
Pupil’s Activities – Watch and practices a specified dance guided by the teacher. Imitate the dance movement as observed in the video.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to –
1. identify one traditional dance of their area.
2. perform a specified dance in a group.