RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – CULTURE AND SOCIAL VALUES
TOPIC – MEANING, COMPONENTS AND FEATURES OF CULTURE
1. Meaning of Culture
2. Components of Culture
3. Features/Characteristics of Culture
4. Cultural Differences in Nigeria
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. define culture.
2. list the components of culture.
3. group the components of culture as materials and non materials.
4. state the characteristics of culture.
Music, dance, food, dressing, etc.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Motion pictures of culture
2. Pictures of cultural display
3. Visits to museum
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF CULTURE
Culture a total way of life of the people. These ways of life include – language, music, dance, food, craft, occupations, etc.
COMPONENTS OF CULTURE
– Material and non material culture.
FEATURES OF CULTURE
2. Food and dressing
4. Technology/ Craft, etc.
CHARACTERISTICS OF CULTURE
1. We learn culture.
2. It tells us how different activities can be carried out.
3. It allows a range of permissible behaviours etc.
CULTURAL DIFFERENCES IN NIGERIA
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions;
2. Explains culture with culture with concrete examples.
Student’s Activities – Ask and answer questions on culture.
3. Takes students to the museum and places of cultural interest to observe the display of Nigerian culture.
Student’s Activities – Observe and report Nigeria’s cultural heritage.
4. Guides students to discuss and identify:
- components of culture – material and non material culture.
- characteristics of culture.
- the uniqueness of Nigerian culture.
Student’s Activities – Participate in class discussions.
5. Organizes cultural activities and displays of cultural artifacts.
Student’s Activities – Collect and display materials from the various Nigerian cultures in cultural activities.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. give a simple meaning of culture.
2. list components of Nigerian culture.
3. state some examples of material and non materials aspects of culture.
4. List characteristics of culture.