Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – OUR CULTURE
PREVIOUS LESSON – OTHER PEOPLE IN THE FAMILY
TOPIC – UNITY IN CULTURAL DIVERSITY
Cultural Diversity means a range of different people (Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo) in different societies (in different part of Nigeria) with different origins, religions and traditions all living and interacting together.
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to –
- Explain the word: culture, diversity and unity;
- Explain in simple terms what unity in cultural diversity means;
- Give examples of different ways of promoting unity in cultural diversity in our community.
Ways of life of a group of people in a community.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of relevant pictures and charts.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book – Basic Social Studies for Primary Schools 4 with Security Education by E E Ezewu, J A Olawepo, C C Anadi, J A Adeyanju.
- All Relevant Materials
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Culture is a complete way of life of a group of people living in a community.
Unity means to oneness. That’s, living together in one accord.
Diversity means individuals or groups differences.
UNITY IN CULTURAL DIVERSITY
Unity in Cultural Diversity refers to oneness in spite of differences.
WAYS OF PROMOTING UNITY IN CULTURAL DIVERSITY IN OUR COMMUNITY
- Making friends with mates who are not from our ethnic group,
- Eating foods from other people’s culture,
- Wearing dresses from other cultures,
- Learning to speak languages of other ethnic groups been truthful in you interaction with people, etc.
- Respect for other people’s culture.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Explains the concepts; Unity, Culture and diversity using relevant pictures and charts;
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the guided discussion on the meaning of the three concepts and the relationship among them.
- Organizes pupils to dramatize the concepts;
- Pupil’s Activities – Dramatize in small groups.
- Leads the pupils to reflect on the meaning of unity in diversity and guides them to bring out different ways by which unity in Cultural diversity can be promoted in their community;
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the reflective thinking exercise and come up with different ways by which unity in Cultural diversity can be promoted in their community.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Process of Changing Culture and Differences
Give simply meaning of the words –
1. Culture ___________________________________________________ 1 mark
2. Diversity _________________________________________________ 1 mark
3. Unity _____________________________________________________ 1 mark
4. Explain unity in Cultural Diversity. 1 mark
List 3 ways by which Unity in Cultural diversity can be promoted in their community. 2 marks each.