Last Updated on November 19, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – AGRICULTURE
PREVIOUS LESSON – Agriculture (Primary 5)
TOPIC: MEANING OF AGRICULTURE
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Agriculture
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to –
Growing of crops
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of –
pictorial display of people planting crop, rearing animals, processing agricultural products, selling agricultural products.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
Copy as I write or draw as I need. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s Activities – Display different agricultural products like food, fruit, vegetables, roots and animals for the pupils to identify and discuss how they are produced.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify food, fruit, vegetables, roots and animals for the pupils to identify and discuss with one another how they are produced.
Teacher’s remark – Listen to the pupils and give a cheer for active participation and introduce the lesson as
Agriculture is one of the oldest and most important occupations of mankind. The practice of agriculture involves production of crops and animals. After the production, the crops and animals are further processing for commercial purposes.
MEANING OF AGRICULTURE
Agriculture can be define as the growing of crops, rearing of animals, processing and selling of agricultural products for the benefit of man (for man’s use).
Teacher’s Activities – Breakdown the definition of agriculture into components for further discussion.
COMPONENTS OF AGRICULTURE
There are four components of agriculture as stated in its meaning. These are
1. Growing or planting of crops.
For examples – planting of rice, bean, yam, cocoa, banana, etc.
2. Rearing of animals.
For examples – goat, sheep, horse, camel, etc.
3. Processing of agricultural products.
For example – production of milk, beverages, bread, fruit juice, etc.
4. Selling of agricultural products.
For example – buying agricultural product from the farm or manufacturer and sell them to the final consumer.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Presents or display agricultural products for the pupils to –
- Identify different agricultural products.
- Engages the pupils to discuss how crops and animals are produced.
- Asks pupils the content and used for the production of sardines, bournvita, milo, etc.
- Explains the meaning of Agriculture;
3. Guides the pupils to mention activities that can build up the definition in a broad sense;
Pupil’s Activities – Pupils suggest definition of agriculture.
4. Give a board summary;
Pupil’s Activities – Copy board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to –
1. define agriculture.
2. state the components of agriculture with appropriate examples.
WORK BOOKS (ASSESSMENT)
Attempt all the questions.
1. Agriculture is one of the _________________ and _________________ important occupations of mankind.
A. Newest and more
B. Oldest and most
C. Common and most
2. _________________ is the practice involves production of crops and animals.
A. Agro economic
B. Agro power
3. Production of crops and animals for _________________.
A. For man’s uses
B. For state use
C. For government use
4. _________________ is the material for producing sardines.
Give 3 examples of crops.
Give 3 examples of animals.
Complete the sentences.
_________________ is one of the oldest and most important _________________ of mankind.
The practice of agriculture involves production of _________________ and _________________. After the production, the crops and animals are further _________________ for commercial _________________.