Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
TOPIC: Electronic Communication
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- explain what is meant by electronic communication.
- identify and explain the uses of the following electronic devices: telephone, television, e-mail, satellite, radio. www, ipad, fax and mobile phone/handset.
- state four reasons why electronic devices often fail to work properly in Nigeria.
- mention four things which we can do make electronic devices work better in Nigeria.
The pupils are required to already know television, radio, telephone and mobile service providers – MTN, GLO, Airtel, etc.
PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE – Wages and salaries.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart of different electronic communication devices.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Communication is an exchange of information by speaking, writing, or using other medium. Exchange of information can be manually or electronically.
Electronic communication is an exchange of information using electronic devices.
EXAMPLES OF ELECTRONIC DEVICES
- Walkie talkie
- Mobile phone
- World Wide Web
PROBLEMS OF ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION IN NIGERIA
The reasons why electronic devices do not work properly are:
- Wrong installation
- Inability to operate the device
- Inadequate maintenance
- High cost of maintenance
- Increase in cost of subscription
- Inadequate power supply
SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEMS OF ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION
We can make electronic devices work well by –
- Proper installation
- Employment qualify operator
- Adequate maintenance
- Adequate power supply
- Provide security for the electric stations
- Modern machine should be installed to replace the old ones
- Government intervention to reduce cost of maintenance and subscription.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Guides the pupils to explain the concept of communication.
- Pupil’s Activities – Explain the concept of communication.
- Guides the pupils to identify electronic devices and their uses.
- Pupil’s Activities – State the uses of electronic devices.
- Leads the pupils to explain the meaning electronic communication.
- Pupil’s Activities – Explain the meaning of electronic communication
- Guides the pupils to state the reasons why electronic communication is not working properly.
- Pupil’s Activities – State the reasons why electronic communication is not working properly.
- Leads the pupils to provide solution to each problem listed.
- Pupil’s Activities – State the solutions to the problems of electronic communication.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – transportation.
Pupils to answer all the following questions.
SECTION A – as state in the performance objectives.
1. ____________________________ is an exchange of information.
2. An exchange of information can be ____________________________ and ____________________________.
____________________________ communication is an exchange of information using ____________________________ devices.
4. ____________________________ is a major reason why electronic communication is not properly.
(a) Inadequate power supply
(b) High cost of maintenance
5. ____________________________ is the solution to the problem mentioned in question 4.
(a) Adequate power supply
(b) Modern machine
(c) Government intervention