Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PREVIOUS LESSON – Passage about Self or Other Members of the Family, Stressing the Roles of Individuals Members of the Family (Primary 5)
TOPIC: CONSTRUCTION WITH VERB PHRASE COMPLEMENT OR WITH NOUN CLAUSE
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. Use the verb phrase complement in sentences of their own.
2. Make simple sentences with transitive verbs such as know, discover, see, understand, forget, remember – I see what you mean.
3. Use transitive verbs correctly.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of sentence strips containing simple sentences.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
CONSTRUCTION WITH VERB PHRASE COMPLEMENT OR WITH NOUN CLAUSE
Some verbs must have an object to make them completely meaningful –
A new trick is the noun object which completes the sense of the word know –
Ref – MacMillan Brilliant Primary English 5
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides pupils to acquire appropriate style of construction with Verb phrase complement.
Pupil’s Activities – Make up sentences with what to do, where to go, how to cook, how to the piano/football, they know why they are here. Then use the verbs see, remember, find out, in the main clause, e.g. remember I what I tell you.
3. Gives out substitution tables to the pupils as a guide in respect of verb phrase complement.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. Make sentences using verb phrase complement of their own.
2. Define a transitive verb.
3. Make simple with transitive verbs – use transitive verbs correctly.