Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – READING
TOPIC – READING A POEM
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
- Reading any given poem.
- Answer simple oral questions on the poem.
Reading and Listening to story
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Poem from any anthology.
- Objects and pictures for illustration.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
- Reading a narrative poem.
- Simple poetic devices e.g. rhythm and imagery.
- The story line in the poem.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Reads the poem to the pupils.
- Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher read the poem.
- Discusses the poem and its meaning with pupils.
- Pupil’s Activities – Discuss the meaning of the poem.
- Lets pupils dramatize the story in the poem.
- Pupil’s Activities – Dramatize the poem.
- Asks simple oral and written questions on the meaning and poetic devices of the poem.
- Pupil’s Activities – Answer oral and written questions set on the poem.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to read a given poem correctly.