Last Updated on July 31, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
PREVIOUS LESSON – RESPONSIBILITIES OF MEMBERS OF A HOME (PRIMARY 4)
TOPIC – CIVIC VALUES
- Meaning of civil values
- Examples of civic value loyalty Obedience, dedication, honesty
- Need for civic values in the society
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain the meaning of civic value.
2. enumerate civic values.
3. discuss the need to imbibe civic values in the society.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
2. News paper
4. Biographies, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF CIVIC VALUES
Civic values are the behaviors and character traits that help a country to grow and develop. These behaviors and characters promote unity and progress, when such values are imbibed by the majority of the citizens in a country.
EXAMPLES OF CIVIC VALUES
NEED FOR CIVIC VALUES IN THE SOCIETY
1. To promote democracy.
2. To promote human rights.
3. To promote peace and harmony.
4. To promote growth and development.
5. To promote economic development:
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides discussion on the meaning of civic education.
Pupil’s Activities – Contribute to discussions.
3. Leads pupils to identify at least five civic values.
4. Guides pupils to identify people in the society with good civic values.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify people with good civic values.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. explain the meaning of civic values.
2. explain the needs for civic values in the society.
3. list five civic values.
Next Class – Second Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note Civic Education Primary 1, Primary 2 and Primary 3