BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – LIVING AND LIVING THINGS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Living and Non Living Things – Meaning and Identification of Living Things (Primary 1)
TOPIC – LIVING THINGS
1. Meaning of Living Things
2. Identify other Living Things at Home
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify self as a living thing.
2. identify other living things at home.
Human beings, animals, birds, fish, etc.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Charts and pictures of animals and plants.
2. people in the classroom at home.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES/QUESTIONS
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Display different pictures of living things and their corresponding non living things, for example – picture of life cat and of a teddy cat for the pupils to identify and discuss their differences.
Listen to them as they mentioned the characteristics of living and non living or identified each as living and non things.
Teacher’s Activities – Takes the pupils for a walk outside the school – a residential area.
LIVING THINGS IN THE SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT
Teacher’s Pupil’s Activities – Asks the pupils to mention other living thing at home or outside the school.
6. insect, etc.
LESSON TWO – REPEAT THE ACTIVITIES IN LESSON ONE IN DIFFERENT LOCATION
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Uses pictures and charts to guide pupils to identify living things in the residential areas.
Pupil’s Activities – identify from pictures and charts living things.
3. Guides pupils to explore outside school surroundings and identifying living things.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify other things as living things.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. identify other living things – insects, files, etc.
2. identify living things at their various home.
3. identify at least 2 living things outside the school compound – residential area.