THEME – READING AND WRITING
PREVIOUS LESSON – Aural Discrimination – /t/ and /ð/, /d/ and /ð/ , /ɭ/ and /r/ and /s/ and /z/ (Consonants)
TOPIC – DESCRIPTIVE PASSAGES ON GOOD MORALS
1. Bola, The Spoilt Child
2. Michael, The Honest Boy
3. Aminat, The Jewel of Zonkwa
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. answer questions on the passages.
2. answer questions on what is not said but suggested in the passage – perhaps the child is lazy. The passage does not say the child is lazy sleeps till 8 o’clock in the morning. Suggesting that she is lazy.
3. Write a short passage using the same technique, e.g. Penda, a strong woman.
Reading and Writing
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Course book
2. Supplementary readers
3. Textualized folktales
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
The passage is to describe what the topic is all about.
For example, first passage in the content column to –
1. Describe the spoilt child, perhaps through dialogue and the writer’s direct description –
Bola is a lazy child.
She is the only child of her mother and she arrived after her mother had almost given hope that she would ever have a child at all.
2. Links words.
3. Appeal to our feeling.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Goes through the descriptive passage with the pupils.
Pupil’s Activities – Go through passage with the teacher.
3. Identifies news and explains their meaning.
Pupil’s Activities – Skim the meaning.
4. Identifies descriptive adjectives and linking words.
Pupil’s Activities – Describe the characters and events in passage and point out the moral lessons.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. do reading exercises.
2. identify key issues on the passage.