BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – BODY IMAGE AND SELF ESTEEM
PREVIOUS LESSON – Internal Parts of Motor Vehicle | Functions of the Internal Parts of Motor Vehicles (Cars) Primary 5 (Basic 5) Term 3 Week 7 Basic Science and Technology
TOPIC – BODY IMAGE
2. Concept of Body Image
3. Features of Body Image
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the concept of body image.
2. state the features of body image.
3. appreciate individual features and uniqueness.
The pupils can differentiate between good and bad.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart showing different body image.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Body image is the way people see and feel about their body.
When you looked in a mirror, what you thought and feel about yourself is known as body image.
People can have a positive or negative body image of themselves.
TYPES OF BODY IMAGE
Body image can be,
1. Positive body image
2. Negative body image
POSITIVE BODY IMAGE
Positive body image is the good feeling about your body.
FEATURES OF POSITIVE BODY IMAGE
The characteristics of positive body image are as follows:
1. Positive self-esteem
2. Confident in your own ability to make decisions.
3. Good connection to work, school and community
4. Assertive in expressing your needs and opinions
5. Ability to form secure and honest relationships — and less likely to stay in unhealthy ones
6. Involvement in sport, team and community activities
7. Positive relationships
8. Healthy attitude and relationship with food
9. Realistic in your expectations and less likely to be over critical of yourself and others.
LESSON 2 – NEGATIVE BODY IMAGE
Negative body image is the bad feeling about your body.
FEATURES OF NEGATIVE BODY IMAGE
The characteristics of negative body image are as follows:
1. Low self-confidence
2. Limited connection to school, work & community
3. Relationship difficulties
4. Limited involvement in sport, team and community activities
5. Disordered eating
6. Mental health concerns, e.g. depression, anxiety, eating disorders, etc.
Self esteem is the belief and confidence in yourself.
That’s, how you mostly feel good about yourself, feel proud of what they can do, see the good things about yourself, believe even when you don’t do well at first.
Having a good body image helps you feel confident or self esteem.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher organizes the pupils in groups or pair depending on the size of the class.
3. Teacher displays chart showing different body images.
4. Teacher lets the pupils as group or pair examine the chart and describe.
Pupil’s Activities – Examine and describe different body images.
5. Teacher pays attention to the pupil’s feeling and reaction in their description.
7. Teacher asks pupils, why would you feel if you have one of these body. Lets them give reasons for the explanation.
Pupil’s Activities – Feel free to express yourself.
8. Teacher uses the chart and the pupil’s responses to introduce the lesson.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction to understand the concept of body image and self esteem.
9. Teacher leads a discussion on the meaning and types of body image.
Pupil’s Activities – Differentiate between positive and negative body images.
10. Teacher uses the pupil’s feeling and reactions in step 7 to lead a discussion on the features of positive and negative body images and redirect their thoughts and feelings about themselves and other.
Pupil’s Activities – Make up their mind to be positive about their body.
11. Teacher explains the meaning of self esteem as confident and belief in yourself.
Pupil’s Activities – Analyze the importance of self esteem and the effects of negative body image.
13. Teacher summarizes the lesson on the board with appropriate evaluation.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary of the lesson and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Meaning of Excretory System | Organs Involved in Excretory system Primary 5 (Basic 5) Term 3 Week 10 Basic Science and Technology
Teacher asks pupils to,
1. explain the concept of body image and self esteem.
2. state 5 features of positive body image.
3. mention 5 features of negative body image.
4. differentiate between positive and negative body image.
5. appreciate individual features and uniqueness.