Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – ELEMENTS OF SECURITY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Duties of Security Agencies – Nigerian Army, Air Force and Navy (Primary 2)
TOPIC – DUTIES OF SECURITY AGENCIES
1. Identification of Security Agencies – Nigerian Prison Service
2. Duties of Nigerian Nigerian Prison Service
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
identify the various security agencies(Nigerian Prison Service) and their primary duties.
Nigerian Prison Service
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Charts or pictures showing Army, Air Force and Navy
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
1. Have you been to police station to see people locked in the cell like this in the image?
2. Have you been in correctional centre (formally known as prison) for excursion or visit?
3. If yes, did you see some people in uniform like the one in the image below –
Teacher’s activities – Listen to the pupils respond to the questions.
DESCRIPTION OF CORRECTIONAL CENTRE (PRISON)
The Nigerian Correctional Service, formerly known as Nigerian Prison Service (NPS) is a government agency of Nigeria which operates prisons.
DUTIES OF NIGERIAN PRISON SERVICE
1. To isolate and confine the offenders.
2. To enforce repentance.
3. To protect citizens from the criminals.
4. To enforce reform.
5. To keep convicted in the lawful custody.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides the pupils to state the primary duties of Nigerian Prison Service.
Pupil’s Activities – Mention the primary duties of Nigerian Prison Service.
3. Organise excursion visits to the nearest correctional centre within their environment.
Pupil’s Activities – Visit the nearest correctional centre within their environment.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. identify and describe Nigerian Prison Service.
2. state 5 duties of Nigerian Prison Service.