History of Computer – Early Mechanical Calculating Device – Slide Rule Primary 3 (Basic 3) – Computer Studies
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – BASIC COMPUTER OPERATIONS
PREVIOUS LESSON – History of Computer – Early Mechanical Calculating Device (Later Development – Abacus) – Primary 3 (Basic 3) – Computer Studies
TOPIC – HISTORY OF COMPUTER
1. Introductory Activities
2. Early Mechanical Calculating Device – Slide Rule
3. Practical Class on how to use Slide Rule
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. identify slide rule among all early mechanical calculating devices
2. describe slide rule counting device.
3. operate slide rule counting device.
The pupils can identify some of the counting devices.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart showing Slide Rule
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
SLIDE RULE DEVICE
Slide Rule is a ruler that function as mechanical analog computer used for computing multiplication or division, roots, logarithms, and the result of trigonometric functions.
It is also called slipstick.
PRACTICAL DEMONSTRATION USING ABACUS FOR BASIC ARITHMETIC SUCH ADDITION AND SUBTRACTION
Play a YouTube video how to use slide rule device.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Shows pictures of each computing device to the class.
Pupil’s Activities – Bring pictures/cut outs of slide rule computing device.
3. Demonstrates the use of slide rule.
Pupil’s Activities – Use the slide rule to solve different arithmetic problems.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – History of Computer – Early Mechanical Calculating Device – Stepped Reckoner (Primary 3)
Ask pupils to:
1. identify slide rule among early mechanical device.
2. early mechanical calculating devices