Last Updated on August 27, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ART
WEEK 10 – Batik, Folding, Tying and Stitching Methods
WEEK 11 – Knotting, Pleating, Marbling Methods
PREVIOUS LESSON – Introduction To Tie and Dye II – Methods of Tie and Dye (Primary 6)
THEME: ARTS AND CRAFTS
TOPIC: Producing Tie and Dye
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to –
produce tie and dye article using any method.
Meaning and methods of tie and dye.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Water (hot and cold)
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Course Book 6
All Relevant Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – TIE AND DYE ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Guides the pupils to produce tie and dye following the set of instructions.
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR MAKING TIE AND DYE
The production of tie and dye fabric requires the following materials:
1. Fabric (white, and 100% cotton).
3. Hydrogen sulphate
4. Caustic soda Tablespoon or other measuring instrument
5. Scissors and knife
6. Rubber gloves
MAKING TIE AND DYE FABRICS
The dyeing process –
1. The hydrogen sulphate, caustic soda and dye must be measured into an empty and dry plastic bowl.
2. Measure hydrogen sulphate and caustic soda in the ratio of 2:1 depending on the color.
3. Add hot water gradually into the chemical mixture in the bowl and stir properly to ensure that everything dissolves.
4. Dip the fabric into the dye mixture solution and allow it to absorb the dye for about 20 minutes.
5. Care must be taken to ensure that every part of the fabric absorbs the dye evenly.
6. Remove the fabric and allow the excess dye to drip off.
7. Rinse the dyed fabric in clean water and spread to dry under a shade.
The above steps are apply to any methods of choice.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Invites local Dyer to lead the pupils through the process of tie and dye;
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the process of tie and dye making.
3. Assigns pupils to produce tie and dye using any method;
Pupil’s Activities – Produce tie and dye using any method.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to tie and dye.
Tie and dye three yards of fabric using any tie and dye method and display finished work.