RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – CULTURE AND SOCIAL VALUES
TOPIC – FAMILY AS A PRIMARY SOCIAL GROUP
1. Meaning of Primary Social Group
2. Roles and Responsibilities of Members of a Family as a Primary Social Group in the Community
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. give a simple meaning of primary social group.
2. explain what makes the family a social group.
3. identify the roles and responsibilities of members of a family as a primary social group in the community.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Relevant pictures and charts.
2. Charts for compiling responses during brainstorming session.
3. Resource persons – parents.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF PRIMARY SOCIAL GROUP
Primary Social Group is a group whose members share close, personal, and long lasting relationships – family.
Members show concern for one another, and share activities and culture.
WHAT MAKES THE FAMILY A PRIMARY SOCIAL GROUP
1. It is main unit of socialization.
2. Everybody belongs to one family or another.
3. Every society grows from the social unit called family etc.
THE ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF MEMBERS OF A FAMILY AS A PRIMARY SOCIAL GROUP
1. Get members to work for the growth of the community.
2. Work as adult members to contribute to the economy.
3. Play key roles in population growth, especially the father and mother.
4. Play active role in political affairs e.g. registering and voting etc.
GUEST TALK ON FAMILY AS A PRIMARY SOCIAL GROUP – A PARENT
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions;
2. Guides discussion on the meaning of primary social group.
Student’s Activities – Guides discussion on the meaning of primary social group.
3. Conducts a brainstorming session on what makes the family a primary social group.
Student’s Activities – Provide a variety of responses during the brainstorming session.
4. Invites some parents to give talks on the role and responsibilities of family members as a primary social group.
Student’s Activities – Take notes and ask questions on the talk being given by the resource persons.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. state the meaning of primary social group.
2. list any three things that make the family a primary social group.
3. list any three roles of members of the family as a primary group.