Metal Work Hand Tools – Measuring Tools, Setting and Marking Tools, Driving Tools and Boring Tools (JSS 1)
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME: TOOLS AND MACHINES
TOPIC – METAL WORK HAND TOOLS
1. Measuring Tools
2. Setting and Marking Tools
3. Driving Tools
4. Boring Tools
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify, describe, sketch and use metal work marking out tools.
2. identify, sketch, describe and use measuring tools and gauges.
3. identify, sketch, describe and use various driving tools.
4. identify, sketch, describe and use different types of cutting tools.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Marking out tools, table, measuring tools, driving tools, and cutting tools
2. Models of shaped blocks
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information – Woodwork Hand Tools – Measuring Tools, Setting and Marking Tools, Driving Tools and Boring Tools (JSS 1)
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
METAL WORK HAND TOOLS
Metalwork hand tools are hand tools that are used in the metal workshop. Some of the tools are stated and classified as measuring tools, marking out tools, driving tools and cutting tools.
MARKING OUT TOOLS
1. Surface plate
3. Odd leg calipers,
4. Dot punch
5. Dividers, etc.
MEASURING TOOLS AND GAUGES
1. Steel rule
4. Vernier Caliper
5. Feeler gauge, etc.
4. Hammer, etc.
3. Steel cutter
5. Sheet cutter, etc.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions;
2. Lists, displays, sketches, describes and demonstrates the uses of:
- Marking out measuring
- Driving and cutting tools and emphasizes safe handling.
Student’s Activities – Watch teacher’s demonstration. Examine, name, touch, describe and state the use of tool.
Teacher’s/Student’s Activities – Practice the use of each tool in carrying out projects.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. use marking out tools for simple work pieces.
2. take correct measurement with measuring tools.
3. carry out simple activities using driving tools.
4. use the tool to make projects.