PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
THEME – PERSONAL HEALTH
PREVIOUS LESSON – MEANING AND IMPORTANCE OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH (PRIMARY 6)
TOPIC: MEANING OF PERSONAL HEALTH
1. Importance of vision
2. Structure of the teeth
3. Dental problems and prevention
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. State the importance of vision.
2. Draw and label structure of the tooth.
3. List two dental problems and their prevention.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Personal health is an individual healthy living which includes – eating balanced diet, regular exercise, drinking good and clean water, wearing clean clothes and maintaining personal cleanliness of the body.
PERSONAL HEALTH – VISION
The eye is one of the important sense of organs. It is called the organ of sight. Without our eyes, we cannot see anything. They are very delicate, and we should take good care of them.
IMPORTANCE OF VISION
We use our eyes to –
3. guard our things from being stolen, and
4. learn and to watch things, for example, the television and games.
DENTAL PROBLEMS AND PREVENTION
1. Tooth decay
3. Dirty teeth
It is very important to keep our mouth/teeth clean to prevent tooth decay, toothache and dirty teeth by –
1. Clean the teeth at least twice a day.
2. Always brush your teeth up and down
3. Wash the mouth/teeth after each meal.
4. Rinse our mouth/teeth after eating.
5. Avoid eating taking too much of sweets and chewing gum.
6. Visit the dentist once a year for checkup.
STRUCTURE OF TEETH
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Leads discussion on importance of vision;
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the discussion.
3. Guides the pupils through drawing and labeling the tooth.
Pupil’s Activities – Draw and label the tooth.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. State two importance of vision.
2. Draw and label the tooth.
3. List any two dental problems and their prevention.