Last Updated on July 21, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME: TOOLS AND MACHINES
TOPIC – WOODWORK HAND TOOLS
1. Measuring Tools
2. Setting and Marking Tools
3. Driving Tools
4. Boring Tools
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify, sketch, describe and use appropriate measuring tools for specific purposes.
2. identify, sketch, describe and use driving tools.
3. identify, sketch, describe and use setting and marking out tools.
4. identify, sketch, describe and use boring tools.
5. identify, sketch, describe and state the uses of common holding and supporting devices.
6. identify, sketch and use cutting and paring tools.
Cutting tools – saw
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Measuring tools
2. Setting and marking out tools
3. Drive tools
4. Boring tools and accessories holding and supporting devices.
5. Cutting tools
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information – Metal Work Hand Tools – Measuring Tools, Setting and Marking Tools, Driving Tools and Boring Tools (JSS 1)
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
WOODWORK HAND TOOLS
A woodwork hand tool is any tool that is used by hand rather than a motor. Some of the tools are stated and classified as measuring tools, setting and making tools, driving tools and boring tools.
These are tools used for measurement. For example,
1. Metric rule
2. Inside calipers
3. Outside calipers
4. Pair of dividers, etc.
SETTING AND MARKING OUT TOOLS
These tools are used for measuring straight lines and setting out work. For example,
1. Try square
2. Sliding bevel
3. Meter square
4. Pair of compasses
5. Trammels, etc.
They are used for driving in or driving out nails and other objects. For example,
4. Punch, etc.
These tools are used for both woodwork and metal work. They are used for drilling. For example,
1. Wood brace
2. Ratchet brace
Holding devices are the tools used to hold the wood piece together on the workbench.
1. Bench vice
2. Bench stopper
3. G – clamp
CARES AND MAINTENANCE OF WOODWORK HAND TOOLS
Good tools are an investment, respect and care for each one of them and they will return the favor. Proper care and maintenance will save you time and money.
1. Regularly clean. Keep your tools always Clean.
2. Regular inspection and repair the damage parts.
3. Proper storage. Keep your tools in a dry place.
4. Keep tools in their original cases.
PRACTICAL DEMONSTRATION OF HOW TO CARE AND MAINTAIN HAND TOOLS, HOW TO DISMANTLE AND REASSEMBLE SOME TOOLS.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions;
2. Displays names and describes the tools.
Student’s Activities – Identify and demonstrate correct use of each tool.
3. Demonstrates sketches the hand tools.
Student’s Activities – Make freehand sketches of the tools. Examine, touch, sketch, name, describe hand tools.
4. Describes the functions of the tools.
Student’s Activities – State the functions of tools.
5. Guides the students dismantle and reassemble tools.
Student’s Activities – Dismantle and reassemble tools.
6. Demonstrates the care and maintenance of hand tools
Student’s Activities – Practice care and maintenance of each tool.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. identify and demonstrate correct use of each tool.
2. make freehand sketches of the tools.
3. examine, touch, sketch, name, describe and use hand tools.
4. dismantle and reassemble tools.
5. practice maintenance of each tool.