RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
WEEK 9 – HIV/AIDS EDUCATION
WEEK 10 – DRUG ABUSE
THEME – SOCIAL AND HEALTH ISSUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning (Examples) Rights and Duties of Citizens (Primary 1)
TOPIC – HIV/AIDS AND DRUG ABUSE
1. Introductory Activities
2. Guest Speaker Speech on the HIV/AIDS
3. Guest Speaker Speech on the Effects of Drug Abuse
4. Weekly Assessment
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain the meaning of drug abuse.
2. mention dangers of drug abuse.
Drugs and drug abuse
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Pupils’ textbooks.
2. Posters on war against drug abuse.
3. Photographs showing drug addicts.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Displays charts showing Public Enlightenment Campaign on HIV/AIDS – HIV is Real and AIDS is Real. Also on Drug Abuse – Say No to Drug Abuse and Say No to Hard Drug.
Lead an organize rally within the school and let the pupils understand the concept of the activities – PUBLIC ENLIGHTENMENT CAMPAIGN.
MEANING OF PUBLIC ENLIGHTENMENT CAMPAIGN
Public Enlightenment Campaign is creating awareness about issues that affect the public.
Invites resource persons to talk on HIV/AIDS as public enlightenment.
HIV/AIDS is an infectious disease that can be transmitted through contact with infected blood, sex and sharing of sharp objects.
HIV stands Human Immunodeficiency Virus
AID stands Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
HIV causes AIDS and weakens the body’s ability to fight other infections.
SYMPTOMS OF HIV/AIDS
These can include –
1. Swollen lymph nodes
2. Weight loss
4. Diarrhoea and cough, etc.
Invites resource persons to talk on drug abuse as public enlightenment and its dangers.
MEANING OF DRUG ABUSE
Drug abuse is the use of drugs without the advice of a qualified doctors.
Drug abuse is also known as wrong use of drugs.
DANGERS OF DRUG ABUSE
Drug abuse is the use of drugs without the advice of a qualified doctor or pharmacist.
The effects or the dangers of drug abuse are –
1. Mental illness
3. Lung disease
6. Dropout of school
7. Poor performance in school
8. Violence in the family
9. Poor relationships with other people and family
9. Paralysis (inability to walk)
10. Death, etc.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Organises class discussion on drug abuse and its dangers.
Pupil’s Activities – List dangers involved in drug abuse.
3. Invites resource persons to talk on the dangers of drugs.
Pupil’s Activities – Respond to resource persons’ questions as well as ask their own questions.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Revision and First Term Examination
Pupils to attempt all the questions.
1. ____________________ is creating awareness about issues that affect the public.
A. Public Enlightenment Campaign
B. Private Enlightenment Campaign
C. School Enlightenment Campaign
2. Private Enlightenment Campaign is creating awareness about issues that affect the public.
C. I don’t know
3. Private Enlightenment Campaign is creating awareness about issues that affect the public.
C. I don’t know
4. ____________________ is an infectious disease that can be transmitted through contact with infected blood, sex and sharing of sharp objects.
5. ____________________ stands Human Immunodeficiency Virus
6. ____________________ stands Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome.
7. ____________________ causes AIDS and weakens the body’s ability to fight other infections.
8. Fever and weigh loss are some of the symptoms of HIV/AIDS.
9. ____________________ is the use of drugs without the advice of a qualified doctors.
A. Drug use
B. Right use of drugs
C. Wrong use of drugs
10. Mention 2 dangers of drug abuse.