Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME: CIVIC EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – VALUING NIGERIAN GOODS
TOPIC: VALUES THAT PROMOTE PEACE – TOLERANCE
Values are lasting beliefs, ideas, opinions shared by an individual, group or member of a community (culture) about something useful.
- By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor): and able to:
- explain the meaning of value;
- state the difference between tolerance and intolerance;
- mention the characteristics of tolerance;
- identify values that promote peace.
- The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of posters/pictures.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Values influence people’s behavior and attitudes. They serve as important guidelines in all situations such as home, community, establishment (work, school, religion etc.).
TYPES (EXAMPLES) OF VALUES
- And so on
These are examples of values that many people endorse.
Tolerance is the willingness to tolerate or accept people’s behavior, beliefs, opinions or practices that a different from your own. Intolerance is when people cannot accept views, beliefs, or behavior that different from their own.
Tolerance does not mean that you have to do what they do or you have follow their beliefs or practices.
CHARACTERISTICS OF TOLERANCE
- Respect for each other
- Behaviour and ways of doing things
- Slow to anger
- Think and rethink before you do anything.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Explains the nature and characteristics of tolerance;
- Pupil’s Activities – Ask questions based on the teacher’s explanation.
- mention three characteristics of tolerance.