Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ART
PREVIOUS LESSON – INTRODUCTION TO THEATRE AND DRAMA (PRIMARY 4)
TOPIC: DANCES OF THE LOCALITY
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- explain what dance is.
- identify and differentiate between different dances in the locality.
- state the significance of a dances with an occasion e.g. dances, festivals etc.
- perform a dance for a named occasion.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Drums, flutes, costumes, gong etc.
- Pictures and tapes of traditional dances.
- Cultural contenders.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Dance is the movement of the body match with the rhythm of the music
DANCES FOR DIFFERENT OCCASIONS AND FESTIVALS
Follow the link to – HARACTERISTICS OF DIFFERENT DANCES FOR VARIOUS OCCASIONS
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Asks pupils to explain what dance is.
- Pupil’s Activities – Define a dance.
- Organises the pupils to perform advance of the Locality.
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in a dance performance organised by the teacher.
- Takes the pupils on a visit to a traditional festival.
- Pupil’s Activities – Visit traditional festival with the leadership of the teacher.
- Arranges for pupils participation in local festivals and dances.
- Asks pupils to perform a dance of their locality.
- Pupil’s Activities – Perform advances of their locality.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- define dance.
- name different dances of the locality.
- distinguish between different dances.
- match the significance of a dance with an occasion.
- perform in a dance for a particular occasion.