Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – FOOD AND NUTRITION
PREVIOUS LESSON – MEANING AND KINDS OF FOOD
TOPIC – MEANING OF FOOD NUTRIENTS
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
- explain the meaning of food nutrients.
- mention classes of food nutrients.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Charts on food groups.
- Real food items.
- Charts on food nutrients, sources and functions.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Foods are solid or liquid substances that gives essential nutrients to the body.
MEANING OF FOOD NUTRIENTS
Food nutrients are the essential substances present in the food that help the body to function well.
CLASSES OF FOOD NUTRIENTS
There are six (6) classes of food nutrients –
Source of carbohydrate – rice, yam, bread, etc.
Source of vitamins – fruits like oranges, pawpaw, vegetables, etc.
Fat and oils
Source of fat and oils – palm oil, groundnut oil, vegetables oil, oily fish, butter, etc
Source of minerals salt – Iodised salt, liver, eggs, etc.
Source of water – drinking water, fruits juice and other drinks
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Defines food nutrients.
- Pupil’s Activities – Define food nutrients.
- Discusses the type of food nutrients and their sources with the pupils.
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in discussing the type of food nutrients and their sources with one another.
- Provides real food items and chart of the classes of food based on their nutrients.
- Pupil’s Activities – Observe the chart on display.
- Displays charts and discusses deficiency diseases of nutrients.
- Pupil’s Activities – Classify the real food items on display.
- Gives a board summary.
- Pupil’s Activities – Copy the board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Functions of Food Nutrients
Pupils to attempt all the questions on the
WORK BOOK (WEEKLY ASSESSMENT)
1. _____________________ are the essential substances present in the food that help the body to function well.
A. Rice and beans
B. Minerals and vitamins
C. Food nutrients
List 6 classes of food and one source each.