Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
SMASE – ASEI PDSI
PREVIOUS LESSON – Simple Machine – Meaning, Types and Applications of Pulleys (Primary 6)
TOPIC: SIMPLE MACHINES – INCLINED PLANE
1. Meaning of Pulleys and Examples of Inclined Plane
2. Construction of Inclined Planes
3. Advantages of Inclined plane
4. Note/Revision and Test
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. mention examples of inclined plane.
2. construct and use inclined plane to lift loads
3. state the advantages of inclined plane.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Wooden plank.
2. Charts showing inclined plane and staircases.
3. Cement blocks
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Simple Machines – Meaning and Advantages of Inclined Plane – ASEI PDSI METHOD (Primary 6)
Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Basic Science and Technology Primary 4, Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
An inclined plane is a simple machine. It allows one to use less force to move an object. Examples of inclined planes are ramps, sloping roads and hills, plows, chisels, hatchets, carpenter’s planes, and wedges.
MEANING INCLINED PLANE
An inclined plane is a simple machine used to raise a load to places higher than the floor level.
EXAMPLES OF INCLINED PLANE
1. An axe
3. Automatic screwdriver
4. Screw jack
5. Office chair
6. Sliding board on children playground
LESSON TWO – ADVANTAGES OF INCLINED PLANE
1. An axe is used to slide wood.
2. Wedge is used to cut wood.
3. Automatic screwdriver is used to screw a nut.
4. Screw jack is used to lift up a car.
5. Office chair is used for balance and position.
6. Sliding board is used by children on playground.
7. Staircase is used to one floor to another.
8. Ladder is used to access to a point on top.
LESSON THREE – WEEKLY ASSESSMENTS
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides pupils to give examples of inclined plane.
Pupil’s Activities – List examples of inclined planes.
3. Arranges for pupils to visit construction sites to observe the use of inclined plane
Pupil’s Activities – Observe the use of inclined plane at construction sites. Use planks to make inclined plane.
4. Leads class discussions on the advantages of inclined plane.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the discussion of the advantages of inclined plane.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. mention three examples of inclined plane.
2. construct and use inclined plane to move objects.
3. state two advantages of inclined plane.