Last Updated on August 4, 2021 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME: BASIC COMPUTER OPERATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – C Meaning of Computer Hardware | Components of Computer Hardware Primary 4 (Basic 4) – Computer Studies
TOPIC – COMPUTER INPUT DEVICES
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Computer Input Devices
3. Examples of Computer Input Devices
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
1. state the meaning of computer hardware components;
2. list components of computer hardware.
3. define input devices.
The pupils can identify different parts of computer hardware.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Course Book – Computer Studies for Primary 4
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Display functional computer system (if available) or display chart showing input devices for the pupils to identify each of them correctly.
Pupil’s Activities – This is keyboard, mouse, etc.
Teacher’s remark – Good job you. Computer hardware is part of computer that can be see and touch. The above are parts of computer hardware known as INPUT DEVICES.
Engage the pupils to type, play game, scan, etc. in order to visual the how each input device send data (information) into the computer.
Based on the activities, discuss the meaning of Input devices. Summary the lesson on the board.
MEANING OF INPUT DEVICES
Input devices are parts of the computer used to send send data (information) and commands into computer system, e.g. keyword.
It allows you to interact with and control computer.
EXAMPLES OF INPUT DEVICES
6. DVD/CD ROM
7. Flash drive
LESSON 2 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES/QUESTIONS
Teacher’s Activities – Guide the pupils to use input devices. As the pupils make use different input devices, discuss the key points with them.
Pupil’s Activities – Follow the teacher’s guidelines.
Teacher’s remark – Give a cheer for active participation. Comment and ask the pupils to answer the following questions:
1. ____________ is used for typing. (keyboard)
2.____________ is used for snapping. (webcam)
3. ____________ is used for recording. (webcam)
4. ____________ is used for scanning. (scanner)
5. ____________ is used for installing. (DVD/CD driver)
8. ____________ is used for playing computer game. (joystick)
7. ____________ is pointing device. (mouse)
USES OF INPUT DEVICES
The following are computer hardware input devices –
This is used to enter data into the computer system.
This is pointing device.
This is used for recording sound.
This is used for taking live photos and videos.
This is used for installing software, play and watch video.
This is used for playing computer games.
This copies pictures and pages and turns into images that can be saved on a computer.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guide the pupils to demonstrate the use of computer input devices.
Pupil’s Activities – Use different computer devices.
3. Displays pictures of the hardware components – input devices;
Pupil’s Activities – Identify hardware input devices. Draw and label the hardware components.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. Explain the meaning of hardware.
2. What is input devices?
3. Identify 5 hardware components – input devices.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. ____________ is used for typing.
2.____________ is used for snapping.
3. ____________ is used for recording.
4. ____________ is used for scanning.
5. ____________ is used for installing.
C. DVD/CD driver
6. ____________ is used for playing computer game.
C. DVD/CD driver
7. ____________ is pointing device.
C. DVD/CD driver
8. ____________ is used for visual meetings, online teaching and learning.
9. ____________ is used for recording and snapping.
10. ____________ is any computer hardware device that sends data to a computer, allowing you to interact with and control it.
A. Computer hardware
B. Computer component
C. Computer input device
11. ____________ allows you to interact with and control computer.
C. All of the above.