SECOND TERM WEEK 6
THEME – CROP PRODUCTION PREVIOUS LESSON – Safety Measures in Applying Chemicals (Primary 4)
TOPIC – DANGEROUS INVOLVED IN EXCESSIVE USE OF CHEMICALS
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to mention the dangers of excessive use of chemicals.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Specimens of chemical fertilizer
2. Weed and pest killing chemicals
3. Guess speaker
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons. Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
INTRODUCTION – OBSERVATION AND IDENTIFICATION THE ACTIVITIES OF THE MEN ON FARMLAND
DANGER OF EXCESSIVE USE OF WEED/PEST KILLING CHEMICALS
1. Chemicals can kill crops.
2. Chemicals can kill beneficial living things in the soil like earthworms..
3. Chemicals can be washed away by rain into streams and rivers there by killing fishes and other living things in the water.
4.. Chemicals blown away by the wind contaminate the air.
5. Chemicals can contaminate various sources of water like well, stream and river.
GUESS SPEAKER ON EXCESSIVE USE WEED AND PEST KILLING CHEMICALS
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Lets pupils observe the chart and describe its content.
Pupil’s Activities – Describe the content of the chart.
3. Invites a crop protection expert to talk to the pupils on dangers of excessive use of chemicals in crop production.
Pupil’s Activities – Ask questions from the expert invited to talk on the excessive use of chemical weed and pests killing chemicals in crop production.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to state 3 dangers of excessive use of chemicals.