THEME – HEALTHY HOME ENVIRONMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – Clothing Construction Process – Uses of Different Types of Seam Primary 6/Basic 6 Term 2 Week 3 Home Economics
TOPIC – HEALTHY HOME ENVIRONMENT
2. Our Home and Environment
3. Ways of Cleaning Our Home and Environment
4. Materials Used for Cleaning Our Home and Environment
By the end of the lesson, most pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. list tools and agents for cleaning the home and its surroundings.
2. state ways of cleaning our home and environment.
The pupils can identify healthy home and environment.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of tools and agents of cleaning different parts of a room, e.g. broom, water, buckets, mop, brushes, detergent, towels, dustbin, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Home is a place where people or animals lives.
Our home and its environment are very important to our healthy life style.
Healthy environment is a healthy home.
HEALTHY HOME AND ENVIRONMENT
Healthy home and environment are surroundings that are safe for people to live.
FEATURES OF A HOME
There are many rooms in a home which serves different purpose.
1. Sitting room
A sitting room is a room in a house where people are welcome, sit and relax.
It is part of the living room with chairs and center table, electronics.
A bedroom is a room in a house with a bed and it mainly used for resting and sleeping.
3. Dining room
A dinning room is a room in a house with dining chairs and centre table where meals are eaten.
A kitchen room is a room in a house where meal (food) are prepared.
5. Food store
A food store is a room in a house where food are stored.
A bathroom is a room in a house where people take their bath.
Sometimes, it is called restroom. Some bathroom contains toilet facility.
A toilet is a room in a house where people defecate and urinate.
FEATURES OF AN ENVIRONMENT
The environment includes the air we breath, our water, our food and our surroundings.
LESSON 2 – MAKING OUR HOME AND ENVIRONMENT HEALTHY
MATERIALS USED FOR CLEANING OUR HOME
1. Broom – soft, hard and long broom.
3. Mop – dry mop, sponge mop, spring mop, etc.
4. Scrubbing Brush
8. Rubber gloves
9. Vacuum cleaner
WAYS OF CLEANING OUR HOME
MATERIALS USED FOR CLEANING OUR ENVIRONMENT
1. Hard broom
2. Hard brush
7. Rubber gloves
WAYS OF CLEANING OUR SURROUNDINGS OR ENVIRONMENT
5. Cutting (trees and grasses)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps – he/she,
1. Revises the previous lesson based on the pupil’s related knowledge or experience.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in lesson review.
2. Displays chart showing heathy and unhealthy home or environment.
3. Lets the pupils identify heathy and unhealthy home or environment and differentiate.
Pupil’s Activities – Differentiate between heathy and unhealthy home or environment.
4. Uses the chart and pupil’s responses to introduce the lesson – heathy home and its surroundings.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction.
6. Leads a discussion on home and various parts of the home.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify various parts of the home and state their functions.
7. Asks pupils to state the materials used for making our home and environment heathy.
Pupils Activities – Mention the materials used for making our home and environment heathy.
8. Leads a discussion on ways to clean our home and its surroundings.
Pupil’s Activities – State ways to clean our home and its surroundings.
9. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in lesson summary and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Heathy Home and Environment – Types of Home Cleaning | Reasons, Guidelines, Processes and Applications for Cleaning Home and Its Surroundings Primary 6/Basic 6 Term 2 Week 5 Home Economics
Ask pupils to:
1. list 5 tools for cleaning the home.
2. state 5 tools for cleaning the environment.
3. mention 5 ways of cleaning the home.
4. state 5 ways of cleaning the environment.
6. differentiate between healthy and unhealthy home and environment.