NATIONAL VALUES EDUCATION
THEME – ELEMENTS OF SECURITY
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – DUTIES OF SECURITY AGENCIES
1. Identification of Security Agencies – NAFDAC and NDLEA
2. Duties of Nigerian NAFDAC and NDLEA
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. identify the NAFDAC and NDLEA with their respective uniform.
2. differentiate between the functions of NAFDAC and NDLEA.
The pupils can identify and read out NAFDAC number on products.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of different products with NAFDAC numbers.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
A Security Agency is a government organisation which responsible for security intelligence activities within a nation.
NAFDAC and NDLEA are security agencies owned and managed by federal government.
NAFDAC AS A SECURITY AGENCY
NAFDAC stands National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control. The agency was officially established in October 1992.
It was established to regulate and control the manufacture, importation, exportation, distribution, advertisement, sale and use of Food, Drugs, Cosmetics, Medical Devices, Packaged Water, Chemicals and Detergents (collectively known as regulated products).
FUNCTIONS OF NAFDAC
1. Ensure food and drug safety to deduce the prevalence of fake and substandard drugs and food substance on the market through research, policy formulation and enforcement.
2. Promote consumer awareness on the safe use of medicine.
3. Collaborate with federal and state ministries of health promotion activities.
LESSON 2 – NDLEA AS A SECURITY AGENCY
NDLEA stands National Drug Law Enforcement Agency.
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) is a Federal agency in Nigeria charged with the responsibility of eliminating the growing, processing, manufacturing, selling, exporting, and trafficking of hard drugs.
The NDLEA is a federal law enforcement Agency established by Decree No. 48 of 29th December 1989.
FUNCTIONS OF NDLEA
1. Suppression of demand for illicit drugs and other substances of abuse;
2. To recover all ill-gotten wealth, acquired from proceeds of illicit drug trade;
3. To protect, enhance and maintain the image of Nigeria and Nigerians both at home and abroad;
4. To make arrest where necessary and hand such drug abuser over to the police.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher organizes the pupils in groups depending on the size of the class.
3. Teacher displays samples of products approved by NAFDAC.
4. Teacher guides pupils as groups to identify and read out the NAFDAC number on each product.
5. Teacher uses the pupils relevant responses to introduce the lesson and explain the full meaning and functions of NAFDAC.
Pupil’s Activities – The pupils pay attention to the lesson introduction and analyze the importance of NAFDAC to ensure food and drugs are safe for consumption.
6. Teacher uses the concept of NAFDAC to introduce and discuss the functions of NDLEA.
Pupil’s Activities – The pupils pay attention to the class discussion and to appreciate the important functions of NDLEA to ensure a safer society that is free dangerous drugs and abuse.
7. Summarizes the lesson on the board using appropriate lesson evaluation.
Pupil’s Activities – The pupils participate actively in lesson summary by responding correctly to the questions and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Teacher asks pupils to –
1. differentiate between functions of NAFDAC and NDLEA.
2. state 3 functions of NAFDAC.
3. mention 3 functions of NDLEA.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. ______ is the acronym of National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control.
2. The acronym for National Drug Law Enforcement Agency is ______.
3. The NDLEA is a federal law enforcement Agency established in 1989.
4. NAFDAC was officially established in 1992.
5. ______ is established to eliminate hard drugs.
6. ______ is established to detect and prevent fake and substandard drugs and food substance from the market.
7. NAFDAC is state agency while NDLEA is federal agency.
8. ______ make arrest where necessary and hand such drug abuser over to the police.
A. Nigerian Police
9. ______ collaborate with federal and state ministries of health promotion activities.
10. NAFDAC and NDLEA are federal agencies.
A. Yes, it’s correct.
B. Not, they are not.
C. I’m not sure.