RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – NATIONAL ECONOMY
PREVIOUS LESSON – WAGES AND INCOME DISTRIBUTION
TOPIC – EMPLOYMENT AND UNEMPLOYMENT
- By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
- explain the meaning of employment and unemployment;
- discuss the problems of unemployment;
- discuss the consequences of people’s negative attitude towards HIV/AIDS infected workers.
The pupils are required to already have learned to wages and income distribution.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of charts of different work.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Employment is work done to earn a living.
Unemployment is having no work to do to earn money.
PROBLEMS OF UNEMPLOYMENT
- Escalation of crime rate – armed robbery, human trafficking, prostitution, drug addiction, etc.
- Waste of manpower
- Threat to peace
- Increase in dependents
- Reduction in investment
- It causes of migration
- Street begging
- Under development
SOLUTION TO UNEMPLOYMENT
- Self employment skills
- Provision of soft loans
- Making agriculture more attractive
- Population control
- Encouraging geographical mobility of labour
- Provision of social amenities
- Restructuring our educational system
PLHWHA means People Living With HIV and AIDS. They are HIV/AIDS positive.
CONSEQUENCES OF PEOPLE’S NEGATIVE ATTITUDES TOWARDS PLWHA WORKERS
- Avoidance by coworkers
- Discrimination and stigmatisation by coworkers
- Ostracisation in the work place
- Total rejection
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Guides pupils to differential between employment and unemployment;
- Pupil’s Activities – Explain the mean employment and unemployment.
- Lists and discuss with the problems and solutions of unemployment with the pupils;
- Pupil’s Activities – Discuss the problems and solutions with one and another.
- Explains the consequences of negative attitude towards PLWHA;
- Pupil’s Activities – State the consequences of negative attitude towards PLWHA.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Attempt all the questions
1. _________________________ is work done to earn a living.
2. _________________________ is having no work to do to earn money.
Mention 5 problems of unemployment.
State 3 solution to the problems of unemployment.