Meaning and Benefit of Neighborhood Security and Neighborhood Security Watch Primary 4 (Basic 4) – Security Education
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – ELEMENTS OF SECURITY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Personal Security – Meaning and Means of Personal Security Primary 4 (Basic 4) – Security Education
TOPIC – NEIGHBOURHOOD SECURITY AND NEIGHBOURHOOD SECURITY WATCH
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Neighborhood Security
3. Meaning of Neighborhood Security watch
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of neighbourhood security.
2. explain the meaning of neighbourhood security watch.
The pupils can identify lagos state neighbourhood security officers.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart showing Lagos State Neighborhood Security Officers.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
The Lagos Neighborhood Safety Corps (LNSC) is a uniformed security agency established by a law of the Lagos State House of Assembly in 2016 to assist the Police and other security agencies to maintain law and order in the state.
Neighbourhood is also known a community is a place or area where person lives as a community.
Security is the state of being free from danger, threat or crime.
MEANING OF NEIGHBOURHOOD SECURITY
Neighbourhood security is a community security that helps to protect the entire community from crime.
Neighbourhood security is also called community security.
MEANS OF NEIGHBOURHOOD SECURITY WATCH
Neighbourhood security watch is a group of security who watches over the neighborhood’s properties as a way of preventing crime.
BENEFITS OF NEIGHBOURHOOD SECURITY
assist the Police and other security agencies –
1. to maintain law and order in the state.
2. to fight crime for a safer neighbourhood.
3. to create and enlighten the neighbourhood about security of their lives and properties.
4. to bring light to an important issue in the neighborhood.
LESSON 2 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. Revises the previous lesson based the pupil’s related knowledge or understanding.
2. Displays chart showing Lagos State Neighborhood Security.
3. Lets pupils to examine and identify the neighborhood security.
4. Uses the chart to introduce and explain the meaning of neighborhood security.
Pupil’s Activities – Define neighborhood security.
5. Invites neighborhood security officer within the school’s community to speak on neighborhood security and neighborhood security watch.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the guest speaker and ask related questions.
6. Summarizes each lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. differentiate between neighbourhood security and neighbourhood security watch.
2. state 4 benefits of neighbourhood security and security watch.