Meaning/Definition of Non Government Organisations in Agricultural Development | Examples of NGOs in Agriculture in Nigeria | Importance of Non Governmental Organizations in Agricultural Development SS 1 – Agricultural Science
SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (SSS 1)
THEME: BASIC CONCEPTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Agricultural Science Plan Lesson Notes for Senior Secondary Schools – SSS 1
TOPIC – ROLES OF NON GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS IN AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT
1. Meaning/Definition of Non Governmental Organizations in Agricultural Development
2. Examples of NGOs in Agriculture in Nigeria
3. Importance of Non Governmental Organizations in Agricultural Development
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives –
1. Explain the meaning and importance of Non Governmental Organizations in agricultural development.
2. State the roles of NGOs in agricultural development.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of –
2. Visit to NGOs on agricultural programmes in the locality.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. National Curriculum SSS Classes
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF NON GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATION (NGOs)
Non – Government Organisations are voluntary organisations set up by private agencies to develop and improve agricultural activities all over the world.
EXAMPLES OF NGOs IN NIGERIA
1. Agricultural Society of Nigeria
2. Food for All International of Nigeria
3. IFDC Nigeria
4. Nigerian Association Of Agricultural Economists
5. Nigerian Organic Agriculture Network (NOAN)
6. Women Farmers Advancement Network (WOFAN)
7. Youth Initiative for Sustainable Agriculture
8. African Ecological Restoration Foundation
9. Farm Awareness for Food Preservation Initiative (FAFPI)
10. Farm Awareness for Food Preservation Initiative (FAFPI)
ROLES/IMPORTANCE OF NON GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATION (NGOs) IN AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT
1. They sponsor research institutes and in-training to enhance the productivity of the farmers.
2. They provides chemical for basic control of weeds, pests, Insects and diseases control. For example – herbicides, pesticides, insecticides, etc.
3. They provide basic infrastructures such as water, feeders, roads, health centers, etc. for the people in rural area.
4. They carry out research to improve seedlings and breeds of animals.
5. Agricultural extension services and projects are founded and funded by them.
6. They support capacity building of people in agriculture.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Guides students to identify and explain the meaning and importance of NGOs with examples (local, national and international).
Student’s Activities – Identify and explain the meaning and importance of NGOs with examples (local, national and international).
3. Guides students to discuss the roles of NGOs in agricultural development.
Student’s Activities – Discuss the roles of NGOs in agricultural development.
4. Plans a field trip to an NGO in agriculture.
Student’s Activities – Participate in the field trip to an NGO in agriculture.
5. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to:
1. Define the activities NGOs in Agriculture.
2. Give two examples of NGOs.
3. Mention 5 roles/importance of NGOs in Agriculture.