PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – HEALTH EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Health and Hygiene IV – Benefits of Cleanliness (Primary 1)
TOPIC – FIRST AID AND FIRST AIDER
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of First Aid and Who is A First Aider
3. How to become A First Aider
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain the meaning of first aid and first aider.
2. state how to become a first aider.
Iodine, scissors, spirit, etc.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
First Aid Box.
Chart or pictures
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Displays a first box with basic content for pupils to identify and state uses of each item of a first box.
Plays a short video on emergency situation where first aid is administer.
Shows the pupils the first aider and asks them to describe, who first aider is?
Teacher’s remark – Many lives are saved through first aid, given before the emergency services arrived.
MEANING OF FIRST AID
First aid is the immediate care and support give to someone who is injured or sicked.
WHO IS A FIRST AIDER
A first aider is the one who gave first aid to the injured and sicked person. A first aider is a qualified person.
A first aider is someone who is qualified to give first aid treatment in the event of an injury or illness.
HOW TO BECOME A FIRST AIDER
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Discuss with the pupils, how to become a first aider.
For someone to become a first aider, the person needs a training to how to give first aid to an injured or sicked person and at the end of his/her training, he/she get certified first aider.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. States the meaning of first aid and first aider.
Pupil’s Activities – State the meaning of first aid and first aider.
3. Discusses how to become a first aider.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the discussion.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. state what first aid is.
2. describe who is a first aider.
3. discuss how to become a first aider.