CIVIC EDUCATION RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
WEEK 1 PRIMARY 3
THEME – NATIONAL CONSCIOUSNESS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Second Term Examination Civic Education Basic 3
TOPIC – NATIONAL SYMBOLS LEARNING AREA
1. Identification of National Symbols
2. Meaning of National Symbols
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify national symbols.
2. describe some national symbols.
National anthem, pledge, currencies, etc.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Pictures of National Symbols and others
3. Video clips
4. Tours to see important national symbols
5. Tours to traditional and religious institutions.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
IDENTIFICATION OF NATIONAL FLAG AND COAT OF ARMS
Pupil’s expected response – This is Nigerian flag.
Pupil’s expected response – This is coat of arms
Teacher’s remarks – The flag and coat of arms are known as Nigerian National Symbols. Other symbols are Nigerian currencies, passport, constitution, etc.
MEANING OF NATIONAL SYMBOLS
Our National Symbols are things that represent our great Nation – Nigeria.
These symbols represent something important in our country.
Our National symbols are our National Identity through which we can easily identify as Nigerian and matters that has to do with Nigeria.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Leads pupils to explain the meaning of national symbols using pictures and objects.
Pupil’s Activities – Examine pictures and real objects and explain the meaning of symbols.
3. Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Draw and Colour National flag.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
LESSON EVALUATION Pupils to:
1. explain the meaning of national symbols.
2. Draw and colour National flag.