THEME – MEASURATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Second Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Notes for MATHEMATICS Week 1 to Week 12 Primary Schools
TOPIC – Commission and Discount
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
solve problems involving discount and commission.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of –
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
Pupil’s Activities 1 – The Ideas of Discount
Study the chart and explain the different between the current price and actual price.
Teacher’s remark – The different between the two prices is called discount.
The amount of money that is taken off the actual cost of an goods is called discount.
Pupil’s Activities 2 – Find the discount of Infinix and Tecno on the chart.
Pupil’s Activities 3 – Exercises/Take Home
Find the discount of the remaining phone,
1. Innjo free
2. Innjo plus
LESSON TWO – DISCOUNT AS PERCENTAGES
Teacher’s comments – Discount is sometime expressed as a percentage of the original price.
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities 1
The market price of a freezer was ₦8500. A discount of 6% was given during sales. How much would a customer pay?
Marked price = ₦8500
% Discount = 6%
= 6/100 x ₦8500
New price = Marked price – Discount
= ₦8500 – ₦510
Pupil’s Activities 2 – Exercises/Take Home
1. Michael bought a Television at ₦1850 each. He was given a 7% discount off the total cost. How much did he pay?
2. Find the discount off give on a T – shirt at 7% if the actual price is ₦6,500.
LESSON THREE – COMMISSION
Pupil’s Activities 1
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides pupils to solve problems on discount and commission.
Pupil’s Activities – Follow the teacher’s instructions.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to solve problems involving discount and commission.